In 1973, Charles Hanin, President of the European space conference, affirmed: "Ariane is a strong symbol of what Europe can do when it is united." That statement is as true today as it was then.
Ariane's technical, industrial and commercial success has made it an international benchmark in space transport, underlining Europe's exceptional capabilities supported by a common space policy.
Ariane 5 is the latest in the series, which has a proven track record since 1979. The programme was approved by European space ministers in 1987.
More powerful than its predecessors, Ariane 5 is geared toward future market requirements while assuring Europe's independent access to space and maintaining its position in the commercial launch market.
Leveraging the technological heritage of the entire Ariane family of launchers, Ariane 5 is designed with simplicity and reliability in mind—2 key concepts for boosting the launcher's competitiveness.
Ariane 5's architecture also leaves plenty of room to evolve to keep pace with changing demand.
The Ariane 5 programme is a central element of Europe's space policy and a fine commercial achievement that has captured over 50% of the launch market for satellites in geostationary orbit.
|Initiator||The European Space Agency (ESA) based on a CNES proposal|
|Origin||Inter-ministerial conference at The Hague in November 1987|
|Participants||European countries, organized by ESA|
|Objectives||Maintain Europe's independence and competitiveness in space transport|
|1st flight||4 June 1996|
In the news
- Ariane 5 sees out 2008 with a flourish - 22 December 2008
- Ariane 5's dual-payload mission success - 14 August 2008
- Sucessful launch for Ariane -12 juin 2008
- Jules Verne embarks on an extraordinary journey - 11 March 2008
- Successful launch for Ariane 5 -8 October 2007
- Ariane 5 ECA joins the family - 14 February 2005
- Ariane 5 ECA readies for eagerly awaited return th flight - 9 February 2005
- Ariane 5 booster on the test stand - 17 November 2004
- 10-ton Ariane 5 all ready to go - 5 October 2004